Sunday, July 11, 2010

Strawberry Raspberry Jam

For most of my jams and jellies, I just use the recipes on the inside of the pectin box.  The last week of the berry season, I didn't have enough berries for a full batch of anything.  I did, however, have a coupon for strawberries.  This came out well, for being merely convenient.  A note on the crushing: after years of making jam, I always crush my berries with a pastry cutter.  It does a better job of breaking down berries than a potato masher but leaves better berry pieces than a food processor.

Makes 9 1-cup jars

2 1/2 cups crushed raspberries
2 1/2 cups crushed strawberries
6 3/4 cups sugar
1 box pectin

1. Measure sugar into a bowl.  Set aside.
2. Prepare jars and lids.  Jars should set in hot water until ready to use (I use my sink, plugged, for this).  Sealing lids need to be soaked in boiling water (I heat 1 cup water in microwave, drop in lids, and let sit in microwave) until ready to use.
3. Measure the fruit into a heavy large saucepan and stir in pectin.  Place saucepan over high heat and stir constantly until it reaches boiling.  The fruit and pectin need to boil continuously even when stirred.
4. Pour sugar into fruit.  Heat to boiling again and boil one minute.  Remove from heat.
5. Drain jars and lids.  Line hot jars up on a towel.  Working quickly, ladle hot jam into jars and top with lids.  Seal jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment