Thursday, July 22, 2010

Marinara

I had a lot of herbs left over, even after making pesto, so marinara was put on the menu for this week.  Whenever I have made marinara in the past--and it's been a while--I made it on a weekend and simmered it for hours to reach the right consistency.  On a weeknight, I don't really have hours and hours.  By putting it in the slowcooker, it simmered all day.  I saved myself even more time by chopping the herbs, garlic, and onion and browning hamburger the night before.  However you make it, it's very satisfying.

Serves 6-8

3/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup oregano leaves
7 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1 lb hamburger, browned (optional, but I used)
2 28-oz cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons garlic salt
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

1. Finely chop parsley, basil, and oregano leaves.  I used my food chopper to do this.  Place herbs in large stockpot or crockpot. 
2. Mince garlic and onions.  I used my chopper for this as well.  Place with onions and garlic in pot or crockpot with herbs.  Mix in hamburger, if using.  Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and garlic salt.
3. If using stockpot, place on medium high heat until it reaches a simmer and reduce heat to low to simmer for at least 2 hours.  For a crockpot, place sauce on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.  Serve marinara with spaghetti, ravioli, or your choice of pasta.  If you have leftover sauce, it can be frozen for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment