Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Almond Butter Cookies with Bittersweet Chips

A friend of mine mentioned a while back that she had had cookies somewhere made with almond butter.  Intrigued, I decided to try to develop a recipe using the ingredient.  I had never bought almond butter before--all the nut spreads in our house are peanut-based--but I was willing to give it a shot.  I tried to find the thickest almond butter that I could, ending up with something called "spread ready."  I decided to pair it with bittersweet chocolate mostly because I like bittersweet chocolate and I especially like it with almonds.  The cookies don't really taste much like almonds, but they are really fantastic chocolate chip cookies. (For uniform cookies, it helps to use a cookie scoop.  The one I used for these cookies can be found here: Oxo Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop.)

Makes about 29 cookies

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)

1. In mixing bowl or bowl of electric mixer, beat together butter, almond butter, and sugars.  Scrap sides of bowl.  Add vanilla and egg; beat until combined.  Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda to bowl.  Mix until all flour is incorporated.  Stir in chocolate chips.
2. Prepare cookie sheet by either greasing it or covering it with parchment paper. 
3. Scoop cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart.
3. Bake cookies in 375 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until edges are brown.  Allow to cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet before removing to a cooling rack or other cooling surface.  Cool before storing.

No comments:

Post a Comment