Sunday, July 18, 2010

Eastern Carolina Shredded Pork Loin

http://fanaticalbaker.blogspot.com/2010/07/creamy-coleslaw.htmlMy best friend from college moved to North Carolina a few years ago.  On my first visit out there, she took me to a restaurant where I was introduced to this fantastic shredded pork that was spicy, sour, sweet, and bitter at the same time.  It came with a cold creamy coleslaw that was just a little sweet, which balanced it all perfectly. After I got back, I was obsessed with learning how to make it.  After analyzing recipes as many recipes as I could find, I combined a lot of them into one and I think I hit the nail on the head.  The especially great part is that it's made in the crockpot, which to me makes it the perfect summer meal.

Serves 8-10

Sauce:
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 T brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Mix together sauce ingredients and let stand in refrigerator overnight or up to 2 days.  Sauce is runny.

Pork:
3 lb pork loin
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

1. Place in crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
2. Shred meat and return to crockpot.  Add sauce to taste (I use the entire sauce recipe for this much meat) and cook one more hour.  You will notice that the vinegar scent of the meat will decrease as it cooks.  Serve with coleslaw alone or as sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment