Monday, June 28, 2010

Mint Sweet Tea

My grandmother used to always add sugar to her iced tea and I never really liked it that way.  My other grandmother made unsweetened mint tea, which I really did love.  It wasn't until I was an adult that I thought to combine the two.  I have made many different kinds of sweet tea, but mint is by far my favorite.  It's so refreshing on a hot summer night. (A note on heatproof pitchers: I have a fiestaware pitcher that I love to use for this recipe.  It looks nice, fits well in the refrigerator, and keeps the tea really cold.  The one I have, in the cobalt that matches my dishes, can be found here Fiesta 67-1/4-Ounce Large Disk Pitcher, Cobalt)

Serves 10 (8 oz servings)

6 cups water
1/2 cup mint leaves, still on stems
2 large or 5 smaller black tea bags
1 cup sugar
2 cups water

1.Place tea bags and mint leaves in a heat-proof pitcher.
2. Heat the 6 cups water until nearly boiling.  Pour hot water over tea and mint.  Set aside and allow to brew for 10-15 minutes or until very dark.
3. Using a slotted spoon, remove tea bags and mint.  Stir sugar into tea--it should still be hot enough to dissolve sugar quickly--before adding the remaining 4 cups water.
4. Refrigerate sweet tea until ready to drink.  Serve over ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment