Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fresh Pasta

I remember that my grandmother used to make her own noodles and I am pretty sure that I helped her at least cut them and lay them out in long strips on her bed to dry, but I haven't made fresh pasta myself for years.  I had some free time and it seemed like as good a time as any to try.  Note about the process: I used my food processor to speed up this process, but it can be done in a bowl with your hands or a fork.  The food processor that I used can be found here:KitchenAid KFPW760WH 700-Watt 12-Cup Food Processor, White

Serves 4, depending on shape

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash dried herbs, if desired
Tiny pinch baking powder
2 eggs
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil

1. In bowl of food processor, process flour, salt, herbs if you are using, and baking powder.  Add eggs and pulse until mixture forms crumbs.  Mix together water and oil.  With food processor running, pour oil-water mixture through tube just until a dough forms.
2. Turn dough onto generously-floured counter.  Knead dough until no longer sticky and smooth.  Cover with overturned bowl for 15-20 minutes, allowing dough to rest and gluten to form.
3.  Divide dough ball in half.  Roll dough half until very thin, about the thickness of construction paper.  While doing this, make sure to move dough around and flip it over to make sure it is not sticking on the rolling surface.
4. Cut dough into desired shapes.  Dry shapes on counter overnight or drop into boiling water as soon as formed.  Fresh pasta will take 3-7 minutes to cook in boiling water, depending on size.

No comments:

Post a Comment