Monday, October 18, 2010

Apple Crisp

I have a glut of apples at the moment, which is a positive problem.  I really like apples and it just doesn't seem like fall to me unless I make apple crisp at least a few times.  And when I say "apple crisp" this is always the recipe I mean.  The apples stay very apple-y, the topping is not overwhelmingly sweet, and it isn't real high on the calorie and fat scales.  Winner all around.  A short note here on what apples to use: I used 4 honeycrisp apples and 3 granny smiths when I made this batch.  This isn't a hard-and-fast rule, I mostly just like to mix something that bakes up sweet and mushy (macintosh, jonathon, honeycrisp) with something that will bake up firm and a little sour (granny smith is my go-to here and is pretty readily-available year-round).  Play with it a little on your own to find your preference or just use whatever is available to you.

Serves 4-6

7 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup quick-cook oatmeal
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter

1. Prepare the apples and place them in a baking dish.  I used an oval 11-inch ceramic baking dish, but pyrex works well too.  Basically you want the dish to be full almost to the top with sliced apples, but not overflowing.
2. Drizzle lemon juice over cut apples.
3. In small bowl, mix together brown sugar, oatmeal, flour, and cinnamon.  I usually just do this with my hands.  Using your fingers, a pastry blender, or two knives, cut butter into brown sugar mixture.  Once mixture is crumbly and there are no chunks of butter, sprinkle it evenly over apples in baking dish.
4. Bake crisp in 325 degree oven for 30-45 minutes.  At this point the apples should be crisp-tender and the topping should be browned.  If you like your apples more done, cover crisp with foil for the first 15 minutes and increase baking time by 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment