Sunday, September 5, 2010

Fresh Sage Sausage

I still had a bunch of fresh sage leftover from last week and from even later.  Fresh sage keeps pretty well, I have learned, but this was really needing to be used.  I chose to brown it in crumbles to use in manicotti and to make more sausage gravy (as I might have mentioned, I plan almost to a fault; I have a plan for each of these) but it can easily be made into patties and served as breakfast.  Without the preservatives, this sausage really shines with herb flavor.

Makes 1 lb

1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Generous dash ground black pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 pound ground pork

1. Toss mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, ground black pepper, sage, and brown sugar together in the bottom of a mixing bowl.  Crumble ground pork over spices and mix until well combined.
2. In large skillet, brown seasoned meat.  If making patties, shape into patties and brown in skillet until done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment